33 Crows - a big surprise!

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
2-J
Golden Avatar

33 Crows - a big surprise!

Postby 2-J » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Never thought this one would be brought back after so long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2XMOb6YwUI (thanks to drykid for the video)

Though this is apparently the only track publicly aired before, on the record(?).
King B
Lucky 13

Re: 33 Crows - a big surprise!

Postby King B » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Holy cow! I'd forgotten all about that. Who is singing it in this video though? On the album artwork they did for this song it's accredited to Mills/Roberts. Could this be Roberts singing with the Companeros?
"In a place where we are destined to return, I'm still here."
drykid
Golden Avatar

Postby drykid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Yeah it seems a long time ago. So long ago that I didn't even register that I already knew the song when I saw the track listing for new album.

I'm fairly sure Bucky Simon sings that track in the live version (though he's in heavy disguise, so hard to tell.)
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:37 pm

It is such a long time ago so I can understand if you don't remember this, but you put "originally recorded by The Lonely Ponies" in the description. The Lonely Ponies are - according to info online 'My Two Toms and Bucky; a Bristol supergroup of sorts'.

Is this a cover like "Ghost (Cowboys In The Movies)" was a Jeevas cover of Bucky's "The Bike That I Ride"?

Though I can't seem to find much concrete info about a Lonely Ponies version of 33 Crows online.
King B
Lucky 13

Postby King B » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Well, the album artwork says "Written by Mills/Roberts", so I wouldn't think it would be a cover, unless Crispian helped with writing the song for them back then. Still confused as to who this Roberts person is though.
"In a place where we are destined to return, I'm still here."
drykid
Golden Avatar

Postby drykid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:16 pm

2-J wrote:It is such a long time ago so I can understand if you don't remember this, but you put "originally recorded by The Lonely Ponies" in the description. The Lonely Ponies are - according to info online 'My Two Toms and Bucky; a Bristol supergroup of sorts'.

Is this a cover like "Ghost (Cowboys In The Movies)" was a Jeevas cover of Bucky's "The Bike That I Ride"?

Though I can't seem to find much concrete info about a Lonely Ponies version of 33 Crows online.

I'll need to dig around to find where I got this info from, I remember an extended discussion on the previous forum (or possibly the one before that) about the origins of the Companeros tracks. I remember the origin of "The Beatles" being discussed there, so maybe it was the same for "33 Crows."
Only Myself
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby Only Myself » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:21 pm

King B wrote:Well, the album artwork says "Written by Mills/Roberts", so I wouldn't think it would be a cover, unless Crispian helped with writing the song for them back then. Still confused as to who this Roberts person is though.

The singer from Bucky is called Simon Roberts.
drykid
Golden Avatar

Postby drykid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:47 pm

2-J wrote:Though I can't seem to find much concrete info about a Lonely Ponies version of 33 Crows online.

They say memory goes with age :P

2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:59 pm

drykid wrote:
2-J wrote:It is such a long time ago so I can understand if you don't remember this, but you put "originally recorded by The Lonely Ponies" in the description. The Lonely Ponies are - according to info online 'My Two Toms and Bucky; a Bristol supergroup of sorts'.

I'll need to dig around to find where I got this info from, I remember an extended discussion on the previous forum (or possibly the one before that) about the origins of the Companeros tracks. I remember the origin of "The Beatles" being discussed there, so maybe it was the same for "33 Crows."

Bucky (rather than The Lonely Ponies) did write the song "The Beatles" definitely and that's easily googleable. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... entries*=0

Not finding definitive info for "33 Crows" though.
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:34 pm

drykid wrote:
2-J wrote:Though I can't seem to find much concrete info about a Lonely Ponies version of 33 Crows online.

They say memory goes with age :P

THANK YOU!

I have a feeling that this may not be the first time you draw on your saved archives, drykid, to help us with old info.

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”