33 Crows - a big surprise!

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
2-J
Golden Avatar

Re: 33 Crows - a big surprise!

Postby 2-J » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:47 am

raagy girl wrote:Did anyone notice that Crispian used the original lyrics at their London gig, at least the "dad"-bit?

I watched the video you posted, again (thanks), and he does sing that one line in its 'original' version (I'm saying 'original' as sadly we don't have the actual original The Lonely Ponies version available to listen to) but then sings the rest as on the Kula record. Maybe he forgot and sang the original lyric and then corrected himself in the next line, perhaps this is a much loved song of Crispian's, it was released in 2005 and performed by Kula & friends in 2009, after all.

I also wonder if Simon slightly messed up singing the 2009 version because the third and fourth lines above don't rhyme as he sings them, but maybe the original song really was like that, awkwardly without a rhyme at that point.
drykid
Golden Avatar

Postby drykid » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:57 am

There's at least one more recording of the Crispian & friends version, as boombox recorded it in Bristol. I'll dig it out and have a listen to the lyrics on that one.
raagy girl
Golden Avatar

Postby raagy girl » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:39 pm

2-J wrote:Just searching and browsing I saw that Bucky released an album "Women, Ladies and Girls (Sing The Bucky Songbook)" and there is a version of '33 Crows' on it. (the description on the Stitch Stitch Records site notes 'As well as Bucky favourites, you'll recognise songs from The Lonely Ponies too. ' explaining the presence of this song, as is / was originally a The Lonely Ponies song rather than a Bucky song.)

http://buckytheband.com/shop/womenladies.php

That is the only actual recording of this song, and it is sung by a lady called Tammy.
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:51 pm

raagy girl wrote:That is the only actual recording of this song, and it is sung by a lady called Tammy.

Well, apparently not... as we were discussing in this thread. Apparently a version was released on a Stitch Stitch Records compilation in 2005 https://www.discogs.com/Various-Oh-Sew- ... se/2826275 this version by the Lonely Ponies

And that women and ladies LP states it's new versions of Bucky and The Lonely Ponies songs with female vocals (well okay on that link it only says Bucky but on the Stitch Stitch site it says that the women and ladies LP contains some The Lonely Ponies songs as well as Bucky. (The Lonely Ponies are a supergroup comprised of Bucky and My Two Toms. i.e. Tom Cops and Tom Stubbs and Simon Roberts and Joff Winterhart).

Unless I'm missing something here?
raagy girl
Golden Avatar

Postby raagy girl » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:00 pm

2-J wrote:
Well, apparently not... as we were discussing in this thread. Apparently a version was released on a Stitch Stitch Records compilation in 2005 https://www.discogs.com/Various-Oh-Sew- ... se/2826275 this version by the Lonely Ponies

And that women and ladies LP states it's new versions of Bucky and The Lonely Ponies songs with female vocals (well okay on that link it only says Bucky but on the Stitch Stitch site it says that the women and ladies LP contains some The Lonely Ponies songs as well as Bucky. (The Lonely Ponies are a supergroup comprised of Bucky and My Two Toms. i.e. Tom Cops and Tom Stubbs and Simon Roberts and Joff Winterhart).

Unless I'm missing something here?

I had the chance to chat with Simon about this - he says The Lonely Ponies version on the Stitch Stitch compilation is a live recording in the garden of the Cube Microplex in Bristol. And that '33 Crows' is not really a Lonely Ponies song or a Bucky song, it's a song he wrote on his own.
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Very interesting, thanks! :)

I still want to hear the 'original' 2005 live version now though ;)

I might write to Stitch Stitch and see if they'll sell me a copy / run me off another copy for a fee.
Wherser
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Wherser » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:55 am

Just searching and browsing I saw that Bucky released an album "Women, Ladies and Girls (Sing The Bucky Songbook)" and there is a version of '33 Crows' on it. (the description on the Stitch Stitch Records site notes 'As well as Bucky favourites, you'll recognise songs from The Lonely Ponies too. ' explaining the presence of this song, as is / was originally a The Lonely Ponies song rather than a Bucky song.)

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”