Strangefolk / Fat of the land

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
Vogonpoet
Sleeping Jiva

Strangefolk / Fat of the land

Postby Vogonpoet » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:00 pm

When Strangefolk came out in 2007, i could not believe it didn´t get more publicity than it did here in Norway. Naturally, its hard to fight your way back so many years after the heydays, but still. For some reason i found this record to be much more appealing than peasants, pigs & astronauts. I haven´t really found anyone who shares my opinion, and i wonder if it could be because of The Prodigy. I like the Prodigy and i like Kula Shaker. Not everyone likes both, and even fewer must have noticed the shared tracks these albums have, The Fat Of The Lands´ "Climbatize/Narayan" VS Strangefolks "Song of love/Narayana". Our guy, Crispian is of course involved in both, and i couldn´t really choose a winner. To me, both these versions are equally good and i see it as a great example of how quality is genre-less. Well, perhaps not entirely true, as i suspect that my subconscious has managed to merge The Prodigy-albums overall dark, raw energy to complement the nicer brit-pop tracks of Strangefolk. I guess theres a name for it that has to do with image/impression. The track "song of love / narayan" is atleast a big factor in why i love this album, and it might not be as great to anyone who didnt alreay know the Prodigys album from 1997.

The Prodigy has never ceased to be popular here in Norway, and i´m kind of shocked that when Kula Shaker played a festival in Stavanger - Norway in 2007, they DID NOT play this track. Perhaps if they did, it could have been a greater success?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kula-shaker/2007/pulpit-rockfestival-stavanger-norway-1bd5b1a8.html

In any case, i´ve been waiting for a vinyl-release of this record ever since it was announced, and perhaps is there a wee bit of hope these days?
Ralf
Lucky 13

Re: Strangefolk / Fat of the land

Postby Ralf » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:39 pm

I can relate to your story, I also dug out Prodigy's Fat of the Land last week on the occasion of a longer road trip. To me, Narayan and Climbatize are indeed the standout tracks. But then, I'm biased obviously ... even though I think Crispian didn't have a hand in writing Climbatize.
Vogonpoet
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Vogonpoet » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:19 pm

I haven´t seen any credits besides Liam Howlett for climbatize on the prodigy album. But, he doesn´t appear to be credited on Song of love. If anyone has stories about this, i´m obviously curious to hear about how it came to be recorded by kula shaker 10 years after.
Jagannath
Lucky 13

Postby Jagannath » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:13 am

Vogonpoet wrote:When Strangefolk came out in 2007, i could not believe it didn´t get more publicity than it did here in Norway. Naturally, its hard to fight your way back so many years after the heydays, but still. For some reason i found this record to be much more appealing than peasants, pigs & astronauts. I haven´t really found anyone who shares my opinion, and i wonder if it could be because of The Prodigy. I like the Prodigy and i like Kula Shaker.

Hey Vogonpoet, I can relate to that. Strangefolk may be my favourite album of them all (K2.0 notwithstanding, I'm only receiving my copy today). Not necessarily because of "Song of Love", though. I like the song, but the standout tracks on this album - at least for me - are others. Maybe it was never my favourite track because I recognized it as a reprise of that Prodigy song, so it wasn't entirely new. I was never really a Prodigy fan, but I did like their "Fat of the Land" album, and that song especially (though at the time I had no idea Crispian was involved in it, I only had a burned CD copy without liner notes). I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I think I actually prefer the Prodigy song, though both version have that long, slow build-up which I love.

Great to see a Norwegian fan in here by the way - I just spent the last semester as an Erasmus student in Oslo, and guess what my Norwegian teacher (a pretty cool bespectacled young lady) received as a present after the language course: a CD of "K", which I found downtown at Råck & Råll on Akersgata for around 70 kroner... along with some tea, of course. Nå kan hun kose seg på hytta hennes med fineste musikk! (i hope that was more or less correct). How is the KS fanbase up there, anyway?

Hilsen fra Østerrike!
Vogonpoet
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Vogonpoet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:39 am

Good to hear from you Jagganath!
I´m not from Oslo, but rather the middle of Norway(Nowhere) as we often joke. I´ve been
to Wien and the Von Easterbunny´s family-castle Schönbrunn ofcourse. They did call
themselves Osterhase right? Oh, and the price level seemed rather level with Oslo.

I´ve been to Råkk & Rålls and spent cash thou, and if there´s
a market for anything the guys down there knows and prices accordingly ;). But hey,
7 Eur isnt much for the music of the heavens. Being a hoarding semi-completist i must have
about 10 different issues of that album, and thats only about half of whats made :P
Haven´t been to this forum before it reopened, but i hope a collectors exchange will
be accepted.

About fanbase in Norway, i have no idea really xept that Govinda and Tattva seems fairly
well known to people around 30 who take particular interest in music. I tend to mention
them as often as possible whenever good music is discussed and sometimes it gets the talk
going. Oh, and a little story at the end :

A friend told me that when he wanted to buy K back when it came out, he could not find it
in the rock-section so he asked the clerk :
"I´m looking for a band called "Kula Shaker"?
- Hm, nothing shows up in the search directly, but theres something similar over
in the swedish schlager-section called "Kula Saker", but guess thats not it right?
(Kula Saker translates to Cool Stuff!)

They had a look to be sure, and there it was. :D:D
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:48 am

Vogonpoet wrote:I haven´t seen any credits besides Liam Howlett for climbatize on the prodigy album. But, he doesn´t appear to be credited on Song of love. If anyone has stories about this, i´m obviously curious to hear about how it came to be recorded by kula shaker 10 years after.

I believe the story is (drykid may have to look into the archives..) that when Crispian collaborated with Liam Howlett / Prodigy, his vocal were originally over 'Climbatize'. Then at some point after recording, Liam Howlett decided to switch them to another (instrumental) track... resulting in 'Narayan' as on the Fat Of The Land album.

Crispian kept the chant, changed almost all the lyrics, and Kula did a cover / version of this song for Strangefolk.
Vogonpoet
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Vogonpoet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:07 am

Cool 2-J :)
If there´s anything i particularly like in music, it is variety and openness to other
forms and genres of music. Prodigy i believe is so well received because they bridge the gap
between electronic and rock so well that it just hits home with a huge crowd. At the same time
i find that i like rather few rock bands that try to go the other/same way. Guess they just try too hard.
Jagannath
Lucky 13

Postby Jagannath » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:35 am

Vogonpoet wrote:Good to hear from you Jagganath!
I´m not from Oslo, but rather the middle of Norway(Nowhere) as we often joke. I´ve been
to Wien and the Von Easterbunny´s family-castle Schönbrunn of course. They did call
themselves Osterhase right?

Correct, Osterhase is the German word for Easter Bunny, and for a change we Austrians call it the same thing ;) yep, Schönbrunn is our tourist showcase, it would take you a lot of time to find all the eggs there, though! So many rooms... and then that large garden! Where exactly in Nowhere/Norway are you from? I also went hiking in Aurlandsdalen (the classic trek from Finse to Flåm) and took trips to Røros (lovely!) and Svalbard (fascinating!). Was able to catch some great live shows in Oslo as well (Kings of Convenience, Steve Earle & José Gonzales) and had a fantastic time overall, will come back to visit at some point for sure!
Vogonpoet
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Vogonpoet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:29 pm

I`m from where the Atlantic Road, Trolls Road and all that is ;) Mountains´n Fjords overload.
joker1961
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby joker1961 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:53 am

Vogonpoet wrote:When Strangefolk came out in 2007, i could not believe it didn´t get more publicity than it did here in Norway. Naturally, its hard to fight your way back so many years after the heydays, but still. For some reason i found this record to be much more appealing than peasants, pigs & astronauts. I haven´t really found anyone who shares my opinion, and i wonder if it could be because of The Prodigy. I like the Prodigy and i like Kula Shaker. Not everyone likes both, and even fewer must have noticed the shared tracks these albums have, The Fat Of The Lands´ "Climbatize/Narayan" VS Strangefolks "Song of love/Narayana". Our guy, Crispian is of course involved in both, and i couldn´t really choose a winner. To me, both these versions are equally good and i see it as a great example of how quality is genre-less. Well, perhaps not entirely true, as i suspect that my subconscious has managed to merge The Prodigy-albums overall dark, raw energy to complement the nicer brit-pop tracks of Strangefolk. I guess theres a name for it that has to do with image/impression. The track "song of love / narayan" is atleast a big factor in why i love this album, and it might not be as great to anyone who didnt alreay know the Prodigys album from 1997.

The Prodigy has never ceased to be popular here in Norway, and i´m kind of shocked that when Kula Shaker played a festival in Stavanger - Norway in 2007, they DID NOT play this track. Perhaps if they did, it could have been a greater success?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kula-shaker/2007/pulpit-rockfestival-stavanger-norway-1bd5b1a8.html

In any case, i´ve been waiting for a vinyl-release of this record ever since it was announced, and perhaps is there a wee bit of hope these days?

well even here in the U.K the same thing like you I also like the Prodigy they`ll be bigger here to :lol:
bloody hell where`s the exit...from the rat race

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”