K2.0 - Best track?

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
2-J
Golden Avatar

Re: K2.0 - Best track?

Postby 2-J » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:11 pm

Lenandana wrote:
zeal wrote:I like Oh Mary, incidentally whose voice is at the beginning of that song? Sounds familiar but i can't place it

I love this song a lot, too! Especially as "Oh Mary, what you've done" gets so full od despair at the end.

As for the voice at the beginning, I read that it's David Hockney (if I get the Google translation right):
Aber nein, natürlich werden Kula Shaker auch 2016 wieder ungehört als albernes Oldie-Thema belächelt werden. Von denselben Kritikern, die das gleiche Album, wäre es von Tame Impala erschienen, in den Himmel hochschreiben würden. Aber Träumen wird ja noch erlaubt sein, oder, wie die britische Pop-Art-Legende David Hockney am Anfang von „Oh Mary“ zitiert wird: „In your head you can go anywhere, didn’t you know that? You can even go to the very edge of the universe. You’ll never get there on the bus or spaceship or whatever they think of.“

https://www.musikexpress.de/reviews/kula-shaker-k-2-0/

Yeah, apparently a David Hockney quote from a 2009 BBC 'Imagine' documentary about him. (according to this blog post https://superwhosparade.wordpress.com/2 ... d-hockney/ and other sources)

I think Mountain Lifter is my fave atm, I also like Death of Democracy, but from past experience I know my early faves from albums are seldom my long term faves.. so we'll see.
antimaterial
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby antimaterial » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:28 am

After 3 days, I am slightly obsessed with Here Come My Demons. absolutely amazing, so personal, so good musically (especially the last minute, when the keyboard builds up). Honestly nearly had me in tears at the end, I don't know how Crispian managed to write and record it.

And then love B with U makes me smile :-)
"Look for signs and portents"
Domino
Holy Flame

Postby Domino » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:45 am

I'm still waiting for the CD and the Limited Edition LP to get here :roll:
We were dead before the ship even sank
Domino
Holy Flame

Postby Domino » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:08 pm

antimaterial wrote:(especially the last minute, when the keyboard builds up)

Same here. Never set my Bose Companion 50 speakers to the hightest volume level before (No distortion at all) 8-)

I finally got my copy (still waiting for the vinyl though :roll: ).

First impressions: Infinite Sun, Holy Flame, Love B, Here Come and Mountain Lifter are my fav. "Oh Mary" could be a Jeevas outtake and "High Noon" a Pilgrim's Progress outtake instead.

More to follow ;)
We were dead before the ship even sank
108 Battles
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby 108 Battles » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:48 pm

OK, now that I've had the album for a couple of days and could properly assess it:
The only song that I really haven't been able to get into is Death Of Democracy. Just can't get into it, though it may eventually grow on me. I'll keep playing it, maybe it'll sink in.

Infinite Sun is great, of course. Other standouts to me are Let Love B with U, 33 Crows (which is hilarious!), Oh Mary, High Noon, Get Right Get Ready....and the MONSTROUS Mountain Lifter, which has become not only my favorite track on K2.0, but one of my favorite Kula Shaker songs ever. Stunning.

All in all, it's another excellent effort by the band. In reading some US reviews of the record, too many people were expecting a carbon copy of K, based on the title. I looked at "K2.0" as more of a rebirth of the band, not a follow-up to the debut. If you're looking for another K, you'll be disappointed. But if you get past that and listen to the album without those expectations, you'll find that it's a great album in its own right. Personally I love it.
Jagannath
Lucky 13

Postby Jagannath » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:25 pm

"Oh Mary" might just be my favourite track on the record. In general, i love the 2nd half of the album, but it's nothing new that the band often save their best tracks for last instead of giving you filler material. :)

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”