Crispian Mills tracks

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
2-J
Golden Avatar

Re: Crispian Mills tracks

Postby 2-J » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:16 pm

Only Myself wrote:I share your frustrations Steve and 2J. I went to one of the Pi shows and still to this day claim it was the best gig I've ever attended. That album needs releasing! I'm guessing Crispian doesn't have access to those recordings any more, or they would have already been released.

He could definitely have released them by now if he wished, I think. Sony were willing to license the single, I can't really see why they wouldn't license an album's worth of material. In fact, at the time of the single release, Ho Hum records clearly indicated the existence of a larger body of material, and hopes for releasing it. But Crispian commented to Classic Rock magazine saying that the sessions hadn't yielded enough material for an album and that those two tracks were the best they recorded during that time. I can't help thinking he only agreed to let those two out as a favour to a friend (from Ho Hum Records, or something?) Or because those two were near-as-damnit already previously released (Healing Hands appearing in a highly similar Jeevas version on Cowboys & Indians, and Be Merciful having been by that point played to death and put out in various forms (albeit none of them an official studio recording) by Kula Shaker. So really there's every indication that it's Crispian that's prevented the release, by this point.

Only Myself wrote:The single he released on Hohum doesn't truly represent the sound of Pi, and I'm pretty sure those two songs were recorded after the album was rejected by Sony in an attempt to meet their expectations. Pi was more 'off the wall' jazz sci-fi psychedelia, with lots of interesting rhythms, pauses and fills.

I would say that's very likely, given Crispian's statements that Sony insisted on further recording to meet their expectations. Healing Hands was stated to be a track recorded after the tour, in 2001, which would have been around the time he was trying to meet those expectations. As for Be Merciful, it's also possible it fits into that category as it was not played on the Pi dates.
Steve
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:12 pm

I can understand why he doesn't want them released. For him they're in the past. Still as fans of his music it would be great to hear the recordings. Isn't the b-side version of Silver Apples from the pi sessions? And that sounds fantastic.

Like Only Myself I got a taste of these tracks live and can't really forget them.
11:11
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:27 pm

Steve wrote:Isn't the b-side version of Silver Apples from the pi sessions? And that sounds fantastic.

That version of Silver Apples has the Pi-era Silver Apples lyric (which differed from the Jeevas version) (I know this by comparing it to the Silver Apples track on the Pi 3 track bootleg).
On the single, the official credit says that it was "remixed by Mark Pritchard with Dave Brinkworth" who of course were the producers of all the Pi-era material.
And it has parts which sound very similar (but I would not say, definitely the same) to a clip of Silver Apples released during the Pi era on Crispian's website.

The case against is, the single credit doesn't say it was licensed by Sony (as the Be Merciful / Healing Hands) clearly does, and it would surely legally have been needed to be licensed by Sony to be released. Unless the Sony licensing info was just left off by mistake (but then why would he bother to go to that trouble of licensing it just for a B-Side).
And it's a bit hard to believe that Crispian would take the legal risk of sneaking it out under the guise of a remix (of maybe he would) just to have an extra B-Side.

So yeah who knows.
Steve
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:06 pm

2-J wrote:
Steve wrote:Isn't the b-side version of Silver Apples from the pi sessions? And that sounds fantastic.

That version of Silver Apples has the Pi-era Silver Apples lyric (which differed from the Jeevas version) (I know this by comparing it to the Silver Apples track on the Pi 3 track bootleg).
On the single, the official credit says that it was "remixed by Mark Pritchard with Dave Brinkworth" who of course were the producers of all the Pi-era material.
And it has parts which sound very similar (but I would not say, definitely the same) to a clip of Silver Apples released during the Pi era on Crispian's website.

The case against is, the single credit doesn't say it was licensed by Sony (as the Be Merciful / Healing Hands) clearly does, and it would surely legally have been needed to be licensed by Sony to be released. Unless the Sony licensing info was just left off by mistake (but then why would he bother to go to that trouble of licensing it just for a B-Side).
And it's a bit hard to believe that Crispian would take the legal risk of sneaking it out under the guise of a remix (of maybe he would) just to have an extra B-Side.

So yeah who knows.

Thanks. I wasn't sure, I think I read on an old forum that it was that's all. I agree I doubt Crispian would risk sneaking it out there as a b-side.
11:11

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”