Crispian Mills tracks

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
2-J
Golden Avatar

Re: Crispian Mills tracks

Postby 2-J » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:55 am

An interview might not help... when it comes to talking about the material recorded in 2000-2001, in my humble opinion his statements haven't always been reliable. He has, in my view, sought to play down the amount and the quality of material recorded, at every opportunity. Statements which are arguably contradicted, or at least challenged, by information from the period itself, quotes and information from other sources, and leaks of the material itself.
Steve
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks for the info! Been bugging me for years.

I saw the King Tuts gig in 2000 during the Pi album period. The worst thing is I remember debating wherever I should take my Dictaphone along to that gig but decided not too. I really regret that decision now. The Pi album sounds like it would have been such an interesting album.
11:11
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Yeah there is only rather slim pickins available from the Pi era. And I agree it sounds like a very interesting album / collection of songs.

Of course there's the single Be Merciful / Healing Hands, that was licensed from Sony for release in 2010 and is still commercially available to this day.

There are four short clips that were officially available from Crispian's website back in the day (Antimaterial, Angkor Wat, Modern Science, Silver Apples) though two of those are basically only samples of film dialogue.

There's a bootleg of 3 songs from one of the Robbie Williams support slots, recorded on a cassette player or Dictaphone as far as I know - valuable but a poor quality recording. (has Antimaterial, Silver Apples, One Louder).

I also seem to remember at some point hearing possibly Antimaterial and Tattva from another (poor quality) bootleg, maybe from the Oxford solo show or something. This was years and years ago though so I can't remember and I don't have it now. Though that was all that was available from that show too.

Of course I'd be thrilled if anyone has anything else / anything else turns up.
Steve
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Me too.

I remember the gig I was at quite well. I went a little worried that due to the music press onslaught of KS and the slight commercial failure of PP&A that he might be tempted to play it straight. However this was not the case and I remember a gig full of mad ideas and great songs. He wore a gold jacket to deliver all this too. Just great.

I've got the Ho Hum 7" of Healing Hands. I so wish someone would release more of these recordings but I guess Sony is Sony and they're not for playing ball. Also I get the feeling Crispian isn't that bothered about getting them released nor should he be really to be fair. All these record companies have got unreleased masterpieces in their vaults. They really don't care either. Oh well.
chilean
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby chilean » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:04 pm

"Free from fear" it's a great song too
Steve
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:34 am

chilean wrote:"Free from fear" it's a great song too

Where is that song from? It rings a bell but can't quite place it.
shakerz
Lucky 13

Postby shakerz » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:40 am

Steve wrote:
chilean wrote:"Free from fear" it's a great song too

Where is that song from? It rings a bell but can't quite place it.

I believe its from the Fantastic Fear of Everything soundtrack.
Steve
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:44 am

Thank you.

I have the FFE soundtrack too, which is probably why it rang a bell.
Domino
Holy Flame

Postby Domino » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:09 am

We were dead before the ship even sank
Only Myself
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby Only Myself » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:51 pm

I share your frustrations Steve and 2J. I went to one of the Pi shows and still to this day claim it was one of the best gigs I've ever attended. That album needs releasing! I'm guessing Crispian doesn't have access to those recordings any more, or they would have already been released.

The single he released on Hohum doesn't truly represent the sound of Pi, and I'm pretty sure those two songs were recorded after the album was rejected by Sony in an attempt to meet their expectations. Pi was more 'off the wall' jazz sci-fi psychedelia, with lots of interesting rhythms, pauses and fills.

I remember walking out of the gig wondering when my next DNA fix would be. Then he comes back with The Jeevas and ditched all those epic tracks. Such a shame!
Last edited by Only Myself on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”