Oh Mary

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
King B
Lucky 13

Re: Oh Mary

Postby King B » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:11 am

My take on it, and I may be completely off base, is that it's about judgement. You shouldn't be so quick to judge another person. They judged Mary crudely and harshly without knowing the circumstances, yet now she's the most revered woman in history. "Now you're every woman, now you're the goddess of love. All is well in Heaven and Hell".

As with any work of art it's open to interpretation, but that's how I received it on first listen, and that's how I choose to take it now.
"In a place where we are destined to return, I'm still here."
Domino
Holy Flame

Postby Domino » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:37 am

Why don't you just ask them (Crispian/Bevan)? ;)
We were dead before the ship even sank
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:13 am

King B wrote:My take on it, and I may be completely off base, is that it's about judgement. You shouldn't be so quick to judge another person. They judged Mary crudely and harshly without knowing the circumstances, yet now she's the most revered woman in history. "Now you're every woman, now you're the goddess of love. All is well in Heaven and Hell".

As with any work of art it's open to interpretation, but that's how I received it on first listen, and that's how I choose to take it now.

I like this interpretation, nice one. Any sensible interpretation has to take into account the last verse, which seems positive towards the subject of the song.
108 Battles
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby 108 Battles » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:49 pm

King B wrote:My take on it, and I may be completely off base, is that it's about judgement. You shouldn't be so quick to judge another person. They judged Mary crudely and harshly without knowing the circumstances, yet now she's the most revered woman in history. "Now you're every woman, now you're the goddess of love. All is well in Heaven and Hell".

That's some nice insight right there. Makes perfect sense.
Jagannath
Lucky 13

Postby Jagannath » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:54 pm

agreed, a good point! also a kick-ass song, maybe my absolute favourite on K2.0 :)
Narayan
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Narayan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:25 pm

I like King B's explanation. I'm a Hare Krishna too, and as 2-J says we respect Jesus as the son/messenger of God, so it would be surprising to me if Crispian wrote a song criticizing Christianity.
Spiritual Psychosis
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Spiritual Psychosis » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:24 pm

Behold, I come quickly;
joker1961
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby joker1961 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:05 am

as someone else as said its a kick-ass song, just :oops: about the subject matter well maybe you should as you do skip the song or let the words go over your head... :roll:
bloody hell where`s the exit...from the rat race
iloveyou
Sleeping Jiva

Postby iloveyou » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:48 am

Hello from Germany

I like this song very much and that is often the case when things are not totally clear at first sight but the feeling says there's something of importance in it. In my opinion not every lyrics of KS should be referred to Crispian Mills. It seems that there is a deep friendship between the band members and no one has seen the others put in chains on stage so far. It's their agreement having him as their frontman but not especially at their mastermind.

There is an interesting difference between the written lyrics in the booklet of the CD and what ist sung on the track. Not being native to english I have overseen the parallels between Mary/Maria and Galleries/sung as Galliiei. The latter made me wondering since I am singing the songs while I'm driving but the penny didn't drop.

I like the ideas of King B and don't like any purism in religious sight. I think this is one of the things KS have pointing out from their beginnig! Just mankind and love to each other in means of respect.

To add thoughts to this song my first impression was 'baby bitch run wild'. I didn't get he idea of her having become pregnant. But it seems to be the most probable interpretation. Later 'bring forth the flower' it seem like an encouragement to her to make the best out of it. This a common problem in suburban societies where childs are often felt as a burden.

My idea of this song intends to an opener direction. A fathers reaction to his daughters misconduct. He's between judgement and love. On the other side you have the daughter between fun and responsibility. 'Heaven and Hell'

be yours
iloveyou

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”