K2.0 Impressions

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
GovindaJayaJaya
Sleeping Jiva

K2.0 Impressions

Postby GovindaJayaJaya » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi Folks.

I've finally gotten around to getting my digital copy of this album and after 2 days, all I can say is WOW!!!! This is the best album I have had the pleasure of owning in years, and there is some esteemed company in there.

Songs which didn't grab me at first, turned out to be slow cookers, that I fall in love with more and more each listen. Songs which I liked from the start are among the best KS tunes I've ever heard, these include Infinite Sun, Oh Mary and Mountain Lifter.

Let love b with u has to be my favourite so far, along with the 3 above.

What are everyone else's thoughts about the album as a whole, individual tracks, compared to K, PP&A, Strangefolk & PP?

I for one think this ranks as the best KS album, and I've listened to them since 1997.
Oh there was a man he sang so pretty,
He loved me for two thousand years,
Why'd he come to New York City?
Once upon a time in America

Jaya Srila Prabhupada Ki Jaya!
Domino
Holy Flame

Re: K2.0 Impressions

Postby Domino » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:45 pm

I agree with you. This album is a masterpiece 8-)
We were dead before the ship even sank
chilean
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby chilean » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:43 pm

totally agree, I love the album... but my favourite one it's High Noon
108 Battles
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby 108 Battles » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:15 am

Superb album, even "Death Of Democracy" which I didn't like at first is growing on me.

Hard to pick an absolute favorite, though Mountain Lifter is definitely in consideration. Stunning song.
GovindaJayaJaya
Sleeping Jiva

Postby GovindaJayaJaya » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 am

I can't disagree with any of you. High Noon is beautiful. There is no filler on this album at all. The maturity in the songwriting is a highlight for me, along with some of the guitar and sitar. Crispians voice is getting better with age too. I probably sound like a biased crazed fan, but I am, all jokes aside though, I honestly haven't heard anything this good in years.
Oh there was a man he sang so pretty,
He loved me for two thousand years,
Why'd he come to New York City?
Once upon a time in America

Jaya Srila Prabhupada Ki Jaya!
Domino
Holy Flame

Postby Domino » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:32 am

I can't stop listening to this album (24/7), it's like a drug... :D

I like so much everything they have released since their "First" split (From Revenge to PP), but this is their best work since P, P & A imo 8-)
We were dead before the ship even sank
Jagannath
Lucky 13

Postby Jagannath » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:14 pm

OK, here's my 2 cents:I love the album but do not think it's their best work. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy it (as I knew I woul) and I'm glad they finally get some good press, but the truth is that the previous 3 albums were just as good and would've deserved the same. Track-by-track: "Infinite Sun" is good, but you can see how it stems from an early phase in their career - taking a native american / esoteric chant and churning it out with a guitar riff is hardly original, but it's good to see the band come full circle with it, and in many ways it's the perfect single, opener & video. "Holy Flame" is pretty good, though I remember finding the sound a bit too "produced" at first... "Death of Democracy" is great, both lyrically and musically (and how the two complement each other), but overall the album doesn't kick off with the same 1-2 punch like K, PP&A or STRANGEFOLK. "Love B with U" is good, but deserves a better title (just as the album itself, imho) and "Here come my demons" is hit-and-miss, with greater and weaker parts over the course of its 6 meandering minutes. Overall I prefer the 2nd half of the album, but it's nothing new that the band often save their best tracks for last instead of giving you filler material towards the end. "33 Crows" is average (especially the lyrics), but sets the stage for "Oh Mary", which is my favourite track on the record and just strikes all the right chords with me. "High Noon", which I did not like initially, surprisingly turned into one of my favourite songs - at first I deemed it a weaker twin of "When a man needs a maid", when it is actually the much stronger one. "Hari Bol" finally features that beautiful acoustic bass of Alonza which was so prominent on the last album, and a similarly hypnotic sitar as in "Wait til I come". The funk-rock of "Get right get ready" again sees them chart into new territory musically (i could totally imagine the Red Hot Chili Peppers doing this!) and address an important topic lyrically, though it baffles me that Crispian couldn't come up with a better line than "We don't trust in guns 'cause they ain't no fun" in the bridge... that almost kills the entire song for me, but it's all good & forgotten once the first arpeggios of "Mountain Lifter" come through the speakers, because that is a great and worthy finale (just like "Winter's Call" was on PILGRIMS PROGRESS).

Overall I'd give it 7 out of 10, maybe 8 - if I have a good day or if it keeps growing on me :)
K: 9
P,P&A: 8
SF: 9 (maybe my favourite KS album, though I seem to stand alone with that judgement)
PP: 8
joker1961
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby joker1961 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:27 am

well the band has surpassed its self with K2.O an awesome masterpiece ...
bloody hell where`s the exit...from the rat race
2-J
Golden Avatar

Postby 2-J » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:23 am

Domino wrote:I agree with you. This album is a masterpiece 8-)

I agree with you, it's a masterpiece and better overall than Strangefolk and PP.

I have not got into an album this much for years.

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”