Sanskrit Symbol on Drumkit

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
Goes to 11
Lucky 13

Sanskrit Symbol on Drumkit

Postby Goes to 11 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:15 am

Does anyone have an idea what the Sanskrit symbol on Pauli's drumkit means? It looks so pretty and auspicious, made me woder what it stands for
Narayan
Sleeping Jiva

Re: Sanskrit Symbol on Drumkit

Postby Narayan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:16 pm

This one's a bit esoteric!

It reads "Kleem," which is known as the seed mantra for spiritual development. The Gayatri mantra given at brahmin initiation begins with the word "Kleem." It is also often used in the worship of the goddess Durga. It denotes Lord Krishna, the Supreme Divine, and links one to Him through the grace of Durga. (Durga, or Yogamaya, controls Krishna's material energies in this world, and Kleem generates spiritual energies linking one to the Divine)
drykid
Golden Avatar

Postby drykid » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:13 pm

Narayan wrote:This one's a bit esoteric!

It reads "Kleem," which is known as the seed mantra for spiritual development. The Gayatri mantra given at brahmin initiation begins with the word "Kleem." It is also often used in the worship of the goddess Durga. It denotes Lord Krishna, the Supreme Divine, and links one to Him through the grace of Durga. (Durga, or Yogamaya, controls Krishna's material energies in this world, and Kleem generates spiritual energies linking one to the Divine)

Interesting info, thanks :) I thought it was strange in the recent online interview 2-J linked to (can't remember the site) that Crispian made a comment about how he had no time for religion. Which doesn't seem to be the whole truth, almost like he'd rather be dismissive of the subject then get into his own personal beliefs in an interview. I find it hard to believe that symbols like this are chosen just because they "look cool" or whatever. It all seems very considered to me.
Goes to 11
Lucky 13

Postby Goes to 11 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 pm

Thank you Narayan, I don't mind the esoteric at all! :)
GovindaJayaJaya
Sleeping Jiva

Postby GovindaJayaJaya » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:16 am

drykid wrote:
Narayan wrote:This one's a bit esoteric!

Interesting info, thanks :) I thought it was strange in the recent online interview 2-J linked to (can't remember the site) that Crispian made a comment about how he had no time for religion. Which doesn't seem to be the whole truth, almost like he'd rather be dismissive of the subject then get into his own personal beliefs in an interview. I find it hard to believe that symbols like this are chosen just because they "look cool" or whatever. It all seems very considered to me.

I have seen that interview, I am almost certain that he implied he had no time for religion in the sense of "Religion being the beliefs of a particular community" as opposed to having no time for Dharma (which has no equivalent English word) which is universal and applicable to everyone. Crispian would hold the belief that our Dharma is Bhakti Yoga performed for the pleasure of the Lord. The Dharma of the soul is to serve the Lord.
Oh there was a man he sang so pretty,
He loved me for two thousand years,
Why'd he come to New York City?
Once upon a time in America

Jaya Srila Prabhupada Ki Jaya!
Vraja D
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Vraja D » Sun May 08, 2016 12:43 pm

The Sanskrit is wrong on Paul's drum if it is supposed to be kleem or klīṁ, it should look like this Image,
when instead it looks like this http://imgur.com/wo47dCj - currently it just says klee or klī - it is missing the m or ṁ sound, that is called the anusvara - the version Paul has is missing that large diamond shaped dot on top right, like what you see with this famous Oṃ symbol - that is what gives it the M sound,

This explains the anusvara https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anusvara

There is also another common way to write kleem or klim in Sanskrit, http://imgur.com/6URBnEK
Vraja D
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Vraja D » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:15 am

Ya know (referring to me previous post-it) I just noticed that Paulis drum in the Infinite Sun video has the Sanskrit for Kleem written correctly, but on the tour stage he is using a different drum with the incomplete word. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-N7ckQioU0&t=0m39s

And while I have the stage is there any chance of maybe the mighty Kula stopping in Hawaii when you go or come back from yer raves in the mysterious orient? Maui let us say? After all the sole big time politico outside of India who is also one of them chanters, aka Tulsi Gabbard, aka Tonto to Bernie Sanders' Lone Ranger, calls Hawaii home. As do countless others who would be thrilled by the mighty shakers finding their way on the waves to crash onto our warm and sunny shores 8-)

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”