PP&A Sleeve Illustrations

General topics of discussion on Kula Shaker
Only Myself
Mystical Machine Gun

PP&A Sleeve Illustrations

Postby Only Myself » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:23 am

Hi folks, do any of you know the name of the artist behind the illustrations inside the PP&A sleeve? I remember an interview from years ago where they were talking about him/her, but can't remember the name.
There's a drawing of Jay playing organ, and one with some peasants, a pig and an astronaut running away.
Any help much appreciated.
drykid
Golden Avatar

Re: PP&A Sleeve Illustrations

Postby drykid » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:28 am

Dan Abbott. Crispian talks in the interview on the PP&A special edition about how the name of the album was changed from "Strangefolk" to PP&A because he saw Dan's drawing of the spaceman, peasant and pigs with the caption "peasants, pigs and astronauts" next to it and it was decided that that would make a better title for the album.

There's an interview (despite the misleading url) with Dan Abbott here in which he talks about his work with KS:

https://oneloudermagazine.com/2013/09/1 ... horgerson/

Interestingly he also suggests he did designs for Crispian's guitars; I know in the past the name of the guy who painted the guitars has been mentioned (I forget it now) but is it possible that he was just using Dan's designs?
Only Myself
Mystical Machine Gun

Re: PP&A Sleeve Illustrations

Postby Only Myself » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for that, drykid ;) There were a few names in the sleeve regarding design, but i wasn't sure who did what.
Turns out he designed most of the artwork for the singles too. That would be a dream job for me.
Looking at the album sleeves he's designed for other bands, i much prefer the hand drawn rough ideas than the final photographs. It would be interesting to see all the prep work that went into designing all the Kula Shaker stuff.

Return to “Kula Shaker Forum”