other bands

Talk about everything and anything that isn't Kula Shaker!
108 Battles
Mystical Machine Gun

Re: other bands

Postby 108 Battles » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:42 pm

raagy girl wrote:I really like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. :)

I've been a huge fan of BRMC since I saw them play in Bend, OR back in 2008, opening for STP. They played a fantastic show, I bought Baby 81 right there at the show, and another addiction was started...

Specter At The Feast is a phenomenal record. Their best IMO. :)
raagy girl
Golden Avatar

Postby raagy girl » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:10 pm

108 Battles wrote:
I've been a huge fan of BRMC since I saw them play in Bend, OR back in 2008, opening for STP. They played a fantastic show, I bought Baby 81 right there at the show, and another addiction was started...

Yes, they did some amazing records and they are such a brilliant live band, too! "Take Them On, On Your Own" is still my fave album though.
108 Battles
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby 108 Battles » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:10 pm

raagy girl wrote:
108 Battles wrote:

Yes, they did some amazing records and they are such a brilliant live band, too! "Take Them On, On Your Own" is still my fave album though.

One thing for sure, there's not a bad one in the bunch. All the albums are excellent.
chilean
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby chilean » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:25 pm

drykid
Golden Avatar

Postby drykid » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 am

Domino wrote:Currently listening to ELO, Pugwash and Divine Comedy.

Weird, didn't know you liked all those (unless you told me once and I forgot.) Have seen Pugwash and TDC live lots of times, and looking forward to seeing ELO in April also.

I can also recommend Temples; the whole album is great. What I like about it is that the song are properly "psych", if that makes sense. I hear too much music these days described as psych and then when I hear it it's just ordinary songs with a few cheap effects like phasing thrown in to make it sounds sixties-ish. But Temples seem to get that the psychedelic thing starts with the songs themselves, and not just the production.
Domino
Holy Flame

Postby Domino » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:04 pm

drykid wrote:
Domino wrote:Currently listening to ELO, Pugwash and Divine Comedy.

Weird, didn't know you liked all those (unless you told me once and I forgot.) Have seen Pugwash and TDC live lots of times, and looking forward to seeing ELO in April also.

ELO

I got into ELO and Jeff Lynne about three years ago. Obviously I already knew about them, but as soon as I watched Shine a Little Love and Midnight Blue videos I decided to learn something more about them. My wife gave me a wonderful birthday present (The Classic Albums Collection [Box]) and I bought “Zoom” (Probably my fav ELO album) and the two JL solo albums “Armchair Theatre” and “Long Wave” later. He made an outstanding cover of Elvis Costello’s hit "She" 8-)
I love “Alone in the Universe” too, such a great album.
I listened to ELO Part II as well and I bought “Moment of Truth” which is an awesome album. I also managed to contact Phil Bates (“Naked”, his 1st solo album, is fantastic), he’s such a brilliant guitarist (Showdown guitar solo, Can't Buy Me Love), but he’s having some issues with the ELO “Logo” tour (I’m pretty sure you know what I’m talking about).

PUGWASH

One day I was looking for some ELO’s covers on YT and I found this.
It amazed me immediately and since that moment Pugwash have been one of my fav bands (along with Kula Shaker obviously ;) ).
I contacted Thomas through his YT channel, and I bought “Almanac” and “Almond Tea” from him (If I remember correctly I grabbed also the Shed Demos Vol.1). He also sent me a signed poster 8-)
Then I purchased “The Olympus Sound” CD, “Here We Go ‘Round Again" EP (vinyl) and "PTI" (CD + translucent red vinyl). I only miss “Jollity” and “11 Modern Antiquities”, I hope they’ll reissue them someday :roll:
Never met them in person, but they seem to be really nice and down to earth guys 8-)
Some days ago I spent 1 hour chatting to Tosh on Facebook. We talked about guitars and ampli, he sent me some pics of his guitars and keyboards/organs. He’s a self-taught guitarist, I can’t believe it! :shock:
I have been listening to Pugwash for two years 24/7, that’s a record! :D
Before I forget, there’s a new forum (if you wanna join it you’ll find me there too ;) ), and I tried to cover (piano) some songs. Enjoy 8-)

TDLM – DC – NEIL HANNON

Tdlm” and “Sticky Wickets” (two amazing albums) introduced me to DC and NH.
Neil is a genious, some songs are simply perfect (he combines pop and classical music together), he knows very well what a “Chord progression” is ;) 8-)
Musically speaking, Regeneration changed my life.
C’mon...how can an average musician write a song like Lost Property?
It took me some weeks to find a brand new sealed copy (japanese edition) of that album, but worth the wait and the money 8-)

As you can see, I started with ELO and I finished with DC. That’s the power of music! :D 8-)
We were dead before the ship even sank
108 Battles
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby 108 Battles » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Any fans of Supergrass in here?
Domino
Holy Flame

Postby Domino » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 pm

108 Battles wrote:Any fans of Supergrass in here?

Here I am ;)
We were dead before the ship even sank
108 Battles
Mystical Machine Gun

Postby 108 Battles » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:13 am

Domino wrote:
108 Battles wrote:Any fans of Supergrass in here?

Here I am ;)

Whew, glad I'm not alone! :lol:

I love that band as well. My favorite album of theirs is probably their self-titled one from 1999, and Road To Rouen. In It For The Money is an extremely strong album as well. Like every one of them though.

The Hotrats (Gaz and Danny) doing those magnificent covers is pretty damn incredible too.
Showered
Sleeping Jiva

Postby Showered » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Great thread, it´s hard today to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I´m listening Brian Jonestown Massacre, "And This Is Our Music".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G12Ev_W7syc
And "DIG!" is a great rock documetary.

Bombino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HjO-7_Ap-0

Love!

Return to “General Discussions”